Business student organizations
Student organizations provide an opportunity to learn leadership skills and teamwork skills, which are valued by today's employers. All Mike Ilitch School of Business students are encouraged to join student organizations and pursue leadership roles — it's a great way to network and looks great on a resume.
Student organizations also offer opportunities to build friendships, network, meet people and have fun!
Representatives from the organizations listed below can reserve the Zalenko Student Organization Suite (MIKE 369). Click here for complete guidelines and a reservation form (you must complete the form with your WSU email address). Other rooms in the Ilitch School may be reserved by completing the Student Organization Event Request Form.
- Agency M-1
Agency M-1's mission is to connect Detroit-area business communities with students at the Mike Ilitch School of Business by establishing social links, economic ties, technological advantages and real-world clients. This hands-on approach to learning accelerates the application of skills, improves education, and provides practical experience while strengthening ties between Wayne State and the community.
- President: Lesa Verbick
- Vice president: Brian Meek
- Vice president: Gabrielle Tremp
Learn more: Agency M-1 website
How to join: Get Involved page
Faculty advisor: John Heinrichs
- Alpha Kappa Psi Alpha Kappa Psi's mission is to develop well-trained, ethical, skilled, resourceful and experienced business leaders. The mission of Alpha Kappa Psi is to empower its members with the confidence, integrity and resources to succeed in the professional community.
- President: Charles Rich
- Vice President of Administration: Maariya Siddiqui
- Vice President of Accounts Payable: Yasir Memon
- Vice President of Receivable: Humberto Villarruel
- Vice President of Membership: Dahami Weerasinghe
- Vice President of External Affairs: Kathryn Lechner
- Vice President of Internal Affairs: Tiffany Bui
- Secretary: Mary Consiglio
- Master of Rituals: Alyssa Witzleban
Faculty advisor: Deborah Habel
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (ALPFA) ALPFA is the largest professional business organization devoted to Latino professionals and students. With more than 19,000 members nationwide, the association seeks to enhance opportunities for Latinos by building leadership and career skills through promoting professional growth, integrity, culture, relationship building, service, inclusiveness and teamwork.
- Beta Alpha Psi
Beta Alpha Psi is a national scholastic and professional accounting and finance organization. The primary objective of the organization is to encourage scholastic and professional excellence in the field of accounting. This includes providing opportunities for self-development and networking among members and practicing accountants, as well as encouraging a sense of ethical, social and public responsibility. Many professional and social events are held on and off campus each semester allowing members to gain practical knowledge of the accounting business world.
- President: Julia Beleshi
- Director of Finance: Gabi Moote
- Director of Events: Tyler Purcell
- Director of Membership and Reporting: Emma Miko
- Director of Marketing and Communications: Ryan Keating
- Director of Recruiting and Membership/Candidate Relations: Noli Shaska
Learn more: BAP website
How to join: Application
Faculty advisor: Deborah Jones
- Business Student Senate The Business Student Senate's mission is to facilitate interaction between the local business community, business school organizations, and the students and faculty of the Wayne State University Mike Ilitch School of Business. We help develop business students to be civic leaders and contributors in the advancement of the field of business.
Vision: The Business Student Senate fosters civic-mindedness, leadership, service and ethical business standards and is committed to developing business students who contribute wisdom, compassion, and experience to a global society.
- Chief Executive Officer: Gabrielle Tremp
- Chief Operating Officer: Keith Lesperance
- Chief Technology Officer: Jad Hamdan
- Chief Growth Officer: Maddie Mueller
- Chief Communications Officer: Lesa Verbick
- University Student Senate Representative: Joseph Naman
Faculty advisor: Linda S. Zaddach
- Data Smart Warriors Data Smart Warriors works to prepare data science students for technical interviews and fosters networking and connecting with employers in the fields of data science, computer science, engineering and mathematics. Members also volunteer and are actively involved at the annual Big Data & Analytics Summit.
Contact: Rajpal Virk
Faculty advisor: Toni Somers
- Financial Management Association (FMA) FMA provides its members with a better understanding of the field of finance and develops relationships with professionals in the Detroit metropolitan area. The Wayne State chapter of the FMA currently works with the National Investor Relations Institute, the Society of Financial Analysts and the Detroit Economic Club. All majors are welcome to join, however enrollment in a finance degree program is encouraged.
Mission: The mission of the Financial Management Association is to broaden the common interests between academicians and practitioners; provide opportunities for professional interaction between and among academicians, practitioners and students; promote the development and understanding of basic and applied research and of sound financial practices; and to enhance the quality of education in finance.
- President: Ethan Lloyd
- Executive Vice President: James O'Connor
- Vice President of Communications: Shane Dombrowski
- Vice President of Operations: Kiana Greenlaw
- Vice President of Finance/Human Resources: Donald O'Keefe
- Vice President of Marketing: Katy Dedene
Learn more: FMA website
Faculty advisor: Sam Levine
- Global Brigades Business Global Brigades Business is the largest student-led movement for economic development. It's a skill based experience that allows likeminded individuals to gain hands-on meaningful experience. Students have the ability to create financial opportunities in remote areas, such as: Nicaragua, Panama, Ghana, and Honduras by working alongside promising entrepreneurs and experienced year-round staff to create financial opportunities. Students conduct workshops and organize financial presentations to members of the community bank. Students then formulate a business plan to increase financial literacy around a culture of savings and prudent borrowing. GBB is a valuable experience that every business major should have under their belt.Leadership:
- President: Suchitra Nair
- Global Supply Chain Management Student Association
GSCMA is a student-led organization for global supply chain management undergraduates, MBA students and other interested Wayne State students. Our organization is dedicated to the study and practice of logistics, transportation, distribution, supply chain management and other related fields. Our purpose is to promote the academic and practical study of logistics, provide a communication and mentoring network, and to increase student involvement within the logistics industry. Activities include monthly meetings, fall and winter member resume books, company tours, guest speakers, career workshops and participation with professional logistics organizations.
- President: Noah Godlewski
- Vice President: Delaina Yatoma & Alexis Miller
- Treasurer: Sohaib Khan
- Membership Officer: Salwa Omar & Mario Malta
- Events Officer: Wahid Qureshi & Hammad Ahmed
- Marketing Officer: Hafsa Qureshi
- Secretary: Megan Hodges
How to join: Apply for membership in GSCMA
Connect with us: GSCMA LinkedIn Group
Facebook: WSU GSCMA
Faculty advisor: John Taylor
- Graduate Business Student Association (GBSA)
The Graduate Business Student Association (GBSA) strives to offer graduate/professional business students with new opportunities that will bring their educational experience to life. Through networking, collaborating, and engaging in leadership activities within the Detroit community, GBSA members will develop skills that translate into future success in their respective fields.
- President: Thomas Halewicz
- VP of Membership: Beatriz Bageneta Diaz
- VP of Events: Ann Mansour
- VP of Finance: Olivia Nowak
- Secretary: Samantha Jablonski
LinkedIn: GBSA Wayne State
Faculty advisor: Carlos Pierre
- Ilitch Business Toastmasters
The Ilitch Business Toastmasters student organization is Wayne State's premier public speaking and leadership development group. We provide a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal growth. Members of the Ilitch Business Toastmasters aim to be among the most distinguished toastmasters in the world, demonstrating integrity first, service before self and Warrior Strong excellence in everything we do.
- President: John Ricks
- VIce president: Tiffany Banks
Faculty advisor: Frank Goeddeke
- Information Technology Organization
The Association for Information Systems (AIS) is a worldwide organization devoted to education and research. The Information Technology Organization is the Wayne State chapter of AIS. It brings leading practitioners to campus, sponsors information sessions on new technologies, links students to local professionals and organizations in information systems and much more. Membership benefits include:
- Gaining a competitive advantage to succeed within the field
- Gaining worldwide recognition through competition and award programs
- Networking with students from around the world
- Expanding career opportunities
Learn more: ITO website
Faculty advisor: John Heinrichs
- International Business Association The International Business Association was formed to promote an understanding of international business practices through programs and information dissemination to students. The organization aims to establish interaction between business students and the international business community.
- President: Rujula Lnu
- Vice President: Sanjana Vutukuri
- Secretary: Sami Wasti
- Webmaster: Murtaza Usuf
- Treasurer: Anoosha Vemulapati
- Social Media Chair: Theresa Gerald
- Director of Human Resources: Annora Johnson
- Vice President of Events Planning: Julia Andre
Faculty advisor: Attila Yaprak
- The M.B.A. Response
The WSU M.B.A. Response's mission as M.B.A. students is to help minority- and women-owned small businesses accelerate their recovery against the novel coronavirus by volunteering 5-7 hours weekly.
2021 team leads:
- Alaa Kishmish
- Sarah McCall
- LaShawnda Wrice
Main contact: LaShawnda Wrice
Faculty advisor: Kiantee Rupert-Jones
- Mike Ilitch Marketing Association
The Mike Ilitch Marketing Association is a professional organization that seeks to bridge the gap between students and professionals by hosting employer events, speaking engagements and workshops to ensure marketing professionals are better prepared for the workplace.
- CEO: Maya Jurayi
- COO: Jimmy Dyer
- CFO: Alex Parthum
- CMO: Kianna Mateen
- PRO: Akida Yilamu
- CIO: Simon Mourani
- CSO: Kendrah Harden
Faculty advisor: Cathy Cuckovich
- National Association of Black Accountants (NABA)
NABA is a national membership organization with the primary purpose of developing, encouraging and serving as a resource for greater participation by minority students in accounting, finance or other related fields. NABA helps strengthen the skills base for its student members, provide support to those seeking higher levels of accomplishment, identify business opportunities for students, and encourage more minorities to make business their chosen field.
- President - Ruben Lile
- Vice President - Sydney Lockhart
- Secretary - De'Von Weatherspoon
- Treasurer - Alexa Edwards
- Director of Operations - Stephanie Alyateem
- Director of Marketing - Casey Nwamba
- Net Impact
Net Impact is an international nonprofit organization founded in 1993 with over 350 chapters. Its members are dedicated to using business as a force to create a positive impact on society. Members' interests include sustainability, corporate social responsibility, international development, social entrepreneurship and nonprofit management. Wayne State University's Net Impact mission is to connect undergraduate and graduate students to make a difference on campus, in the community and around the world. We provide local community events and events sponsored by Net Impact for members to connect, learn and collaborate.
- President: Harold Wilcox
- Vice President of Communications: Katie Wallace
Faculty advisor: Andrea Tangari
- Real Estate Investment Association
Anyone looking to learn more about real estate investing should consider joining the Real Estate Investment Association (REIA). REIA educates and exposes its members to the risks and rewards of real estate investing, commercial and residential strategies, and the steps it takes to get started in the industry. Most importantly, REIA offers members amazing opportunities to network with industry leaders. REIA events consist of guest speakers, case study analysis and other great content on real estate investment topics.
- President: Dominic Hendi
- Executive Vice President: Wolfgang Lohrer
Faculty advisor: Matthew Roling
- Society for Human Resource Management
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is a global HR professional organization with student chapters focused on helping students gain real-world experience through connections with business professionals. Wayne State's SHRM chapter is the premiere student organization for those interested in human resources including personnel management, labor relations and talent development. WSU SHRM continues to provide opportunities for students to network and gain knowledge in human resources, as well as outreach to working professionals.
LinkedIn: Wayne State SHRM Student Chapter
Faculty advisor: Marick Masters
- Sport and Entertainment Business Association The Sport and Entertainment Business Association will focus on providing insight to the sports and entertainment industry with a focus on management to our members. Members will learn about different aspects that make up these specific industries and the opportunities available within each. Having unique access to four major league sports organizations, our organization will connect students with individuals from these organizations to educate and spread knowledge of this competitive industry. Our organization will focus on education through guest speakers within the industry and collaborative efforts with local organizations.
- President: Zach Warren
- Vice President: Andrew Spak
- Chief Operating Officer: Brian Gawronski
- Chief Marketing Officer: Annora Johnson
Faculty advisor: Scott Tainsky
- Warrior Entrepreneurs and Innovators (WEI)
The Warrior Entrepreneurs and Innovators (WEI) student organization is focused on creating a solid foundation for entrepreneurs and innovators to network, engage and learn entrepreneurial solutions. Our organization will help students develop, build and grow relationships that will further expand their venture or start-up. We are open to all majors who have an interest in pursuing entrepreneurship. All business and EI students are encouraged to join. WEI is a great opportunity for students to get involved on and off campus with networking, meetings, guest speakers, workshops and other special events. Our mission is to promote the foundation of what it takes to become an entrepreneur and provide the resources needed to begin a business.
Facebook: Warrior Entrepreneurs and Innovators
LinkedIn: Warrior Entrepreneurs and Innovators
Faculty advisor: Jeff Stoltman
- Wayne Black Business Student Association
The Wayne Black Business Student Association strives to introduce graduate, undergraduate and high school students to entrepreneurship, leadership, equity, diversity, inclusion and access decisions in the industry, as well as recruit prospective students of color to the Mike Ilitch School of Business. Through networking and leadership activities, members will engage the community and incite positive and effective change.
- Wayne Women in Business Wayne Women in Business (WWIB) is dedicated to providing women with business and entrepreneurial ambitions the necessary resources to thrive in their chosen career path. We strive to bring success to our members by offering opportunities that encourage personal and professional development. Our mission is to provide our members with potential career opportunities and opportunities to network with professional mentors. Through our events and resources, we ensure all WWIB members will leave the Mike Ilitch School of Business confident in their skillset and capabilities.
- President: Sally Bdeir
- Vice President: Danielle Dantes
- Treasurer/Finance: Maureen Brunner
- Membership Chair: Amanda Quinn
Learn more: Interest form
Faculty advisor: Mary Zinser