Management Career Options
Guide to Internships and Full-time Employment
Mike Ilitch School of Business
Office of Career Planning & Placement (CPP)
What is Management?
Those with careers in management make decisions and direct resources within business functions that may include strategy, operations, recruiting, training and development, dispute resolution, and other human resource issues. Careers in management stretch across many industries, nonprofits, government agencies, etc.
Courses within the management major provide a solid background in many subjects, including:
- Managing organizational change
- Managing talent and human capital
- Solving workplace problems creatively
- Building and empowering effective teams
- Organizations and their external environments
- Communicating effectively in a diverse work environment
- Managing organizations as integrated units under uncertain conditions
For more information on the management program at the Mike Ilitch School of Business: ilitchbusiness.wayne.edu/management/bachelors.php
|Traditional Career Titles||Entry-Level Management Titles||Top Industries|
| || || |
What Can I Do With this Major?
Human Resource Management
Management or Leadership Programs (MDP/LDP)?
Many Leadership Development Programs (LDP) are not intended to build several management skills but aim to develop high-level managers with significant experience within a single function. MDP/LDP programs can be found in multiple industries. Most of the development programs are rotational in nature, lasting from one to three years, and can encompass several rotations of varying lengths. The rotations are designed to provide exposure to different functional and/or business units within the firm and to provide opportunities to build your transferable and functional skills. MDP/LDP is a concentrated effort to develop the talent needed to continue to meet the leadership demands of the organization.
Fall and Winter Business Career Fair
- Internships occur during the fall, winter, and summer months
- Full-time recruiting occurs during the first three months of the fall and winter semester
- Check Handshake for details
Internships and Full-Time Employment
- Annual career fairs held in October and March for all business students and alumni to meet with employers in various functions for internships/co-op positions and full-time employment
- Check Handshake for details
Quick Prep Tips for Management Students
- Apply for jobs, register for CPP events, research employers on Handshake
- Attend Meet & Greets, Company Presentations, Career Fair Prep and Mock Interviews
- Attend Ilitch Business career fairs as well as other local career events
- Submit resume for review and approval on Handshake or schedule an appointment with a CPP advisor
- Prepare for upcoming interviews. How?
- Meet with a CPP advisor for one-on-one guidance
- Schedule for Monday Mock Interviews, check Handshake for details
- Know your options! Research companies in various business functions
- Purchase business professional attire. Need help? Check out the Mary Ann Goldsberry Professional Dress Closet located in CPP Suite 299
Warriors Get Involved
Consider joining one or more of the following student organizations:
- The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Alpha Kappa Psi
- Delta Sigma Pi
- Graduate Business Association
- Wayne Black Business Student Association
- Sport and Entertainment Business Association
- Business Student Senate
- International Business Association
- Real Estate Investment Association
More information on Ilitch Business student organizations can be found at https://ilitchbusiness.wayne.edu/orgs/index.php.
Helpful Job Resources for Warriors