Frequently asked questions
Who can participate in the GM/WSU Supply Chain Case Competition?
Undergraduate students from schools that have been invited to participate. Students are only permitted to participate as a team member in the GM/WSU Supply Chain Case Competition one time.
How many people can be on a team?
Teams may have up to four student members.
How many teams can a participating university send to compete?
Only one team per school.
How much does it cost to participate?
- Domestic team (up to four team members and one faculty advisor) = $350 (includes three hotel rooms for three nights)
- Domestic team plus one additional faculty member (up to four team members, one faculty advisor and one faculty guest) = $1,200 (includes four hotel rooms for three nights)
- International team (up to four team members and one faculty advisor) = $1,200 (includes three hotel rooms for four nights)
What is the role of the faculty advisor?
Faculty advisors accompany the team, but they do not provide any assistance with the case. Students are welcome to use books, online information, and any other non-human resource to gather information. Some activities may be planned specifically for advisors during the event.
When do teams receive the case?
The case is distributed to teams approximately four weeks prior to the competition.
What is the technology setup for the competition?
A laptop and projector will be available in the competition rooms. Make sure you print out all necessary materials prior to your arrival. Printers/copiers may not be available at the hotel. Teams may present their case analysis using PowerPoint. Please save your presentation to a USB drive.
Where is the GM/WSU Supply Chain Case Competition held?
The competition is held at the Detroit Marriott Hotel at the Renaissance Center on the international Detroit riverfront.
How are hotel room assignments handled?
Teams receive three hotel rooms per registration (one for the faculty advisor and two for student team participants). If necessary, a cot can be requested from the hotel if three students should need to stay in one room. Cots are made available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Marriott. Any additional hotel rooms required would be at the cost of the respective university.
Why should our school/program participate?
- Networking opportunities with other students and faculty members
- Networking, recruiting and interview opportunities with GM and supplier professionals
- Provide solutions to a case study based on real-life scenarios and written by industry professionals
- Enjoy entertainment and dining options in beautiful downtown Detroit
- Enhance your presentation skills
How will the competition day be managed?
- Teams will arrive to the competition site 30 minutes prior to their presentation time
- Teams will be directed to a designated waiting room
- Each presentation will include five minutes for setup, 20 minutes for presenting and a 10-minute Q&A session with a panel of judges
- Teams must leave the room immediately after the Q&A
- A photo will be taken of each team following their presentation
- Judges in the preliminary rounds will be different from final round judges
Will teams receive feedback about presentations?
After each presentation, judges may ask questions and/or offer feedback.
What is appropriate attire for the competition?
Business casual is appropriate and expected. Business professional is also acceptable. Teams are also welcome to wear logo-embroidered Oxford or polo shirts during competition presentations to show school pride. T-shirts are not recommended.
What are the current COVID-19 protocols for this event?
Current restrictions and guidelines for Wayne State University affiliated events/activities are shown below. Please note, the guidelines may change.
- Daily Screener: All indoor event attendees must complete the Campus Daily Screener (for WSU students, faculty and staff) or Guest Daily Screener. This is required for all university-affiliated events, even those held in off-campus venues. A completed daily screener confirmation page must be shown at event check-in daily.
- Masking: Masking is optional for events under 50 people, but may be required for events of more than 50 people.
- Social Distancing: Social distancing is not required but is recommended where possible.