Zero-Credit Co-Op Program
WSU Mike Ilitch School of Business Cooperative Education (Co-op) allows you to gain practical/hands-on work experience and to apply what you've learned in the classroom. Many companies offer co-op opportunities on a parallel basis – meaning that you will work on a co-op worksite at the same time that you are taking classes (usually part-time at your co-op worksite, and full or part-time in school). You may also choose to complete a co-op in the Spring/Summer when your course load is lighter in order to work at your co-op full-time.
In order to apply for and receive approval for the 0-credit co-op course, you must meet the following requirements. Please note: You are not able to register in the 0-credit co-op course retroactively.
- Sophomore standing (minimum of 30 credits completed)
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.8
- Accepted a co-op that aligns with your major
Registering your Co-Op:
If you've been offered a co-op opportunity by a company, you are able to register for the free, 0-credit co-op course to have your co-op experience documented on your transcript. You will be placed in the co-op course that aligns with your major: ACC 4500, FIN 4500, GSC 4500, ISM 4500, MGT 4500, or MKT 4500. Registering your co-op ensures that your co-op experience is well-documented to employers when you go to apply for your first job after graduation.
Co-Op process for business students:
- Obtain a co-op position.
- Complete the Business Co-Op Application (pdf).
- Submit your application with an offer letter and detailed job description to email@example.com.
- A Mike Ilitch School of Business Career Planning and Placement staff will review your request.
- Within 5 business days after submitting your request, you will be notified by email (WSU) if your request was approved or declined.
- If approved, the following steps will occur:
- You will need to sign the Co-Op Student Agreement Form and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Career Planning and Placement will contact your Co-Op supervisor who will need to sign the Co-Op Employer Agreement Form.
- Career Planning and Placement will contact Undergraduate Business Advising and your Business Academic Advisor will issue an override.
- You will need to register for the appropriate course once the override is administered: ACC 4500, FIN 4500, GSC 4500, ISM 4500, MGT 4500, or MKT 4500.
To earn a satisfactory grade:
- Your co-op internship supervisor will need to complete both a mid-semester and end-of-semester survey.
- You will need to complete the co-op reflection paper according to the reflection paper guidelines (pdf). The due date for this paper will be listed in your Co-Op Student Agreement Form.
- The responses from the two employer surveys, along with your reflection paper, will be reviewed by Career Planning and Placement staff. A satisfactory grade (S) will be posted once the survey evaluations and reflection paper have been reviewed and approved.