International admissions

Students from other countries must contact the Office of University Admissions or a business school advisor for appropriate application materials and deadline dates.

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) is also a great resource for international students.

Students from non-English speaking countries must take an English Language Proficiency Examination prior to undergraduate and graduate admission, or have a minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (paper version) or 79 (web-based test). Undergraduate students are also required to take a Test of Written English (TWE) with a score of 5.5.

International students must provide the required admission materials at least four months prior to the beginning of the semester in which they want to enroll. Semesters begin in September, January and May.

For more information, contact a Mike Ilitch School of Business advisor at 313-577-4510 or 800-910-EARN.

Undergraduate information

For full information on becoming a Wayne State undergraduate student, please check Wayne State University's international student admissions page.

Graduate information

To be considered for graduate admission, applicants must have completed an appropriate university-level program comparable in subject matter and credits to a Wayne State bachelor's degree program.

While a degree in another country may have a similar name to a U.S. degree, that doesn't mean it requires similar lengths and content of study or that it should be accepted as equivalent.

All graduate applicants must:

  1. Present an excellent scholastic record
  2. Have sufficient financial resources for minimum tuition, supplies and living expenses
  3. Be proficient in English

Check the Wayne State Graduate School's international student admissions page for full information.

Canadian students

Check the Wayne State Admissions Office's Canadian students page for information specific to Canadian students.

Commuting Canadians enrolled less than full time must obtain a border-crossing letter from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) and should consult with an OISS counselor to determine the impact of any reduced enrollment and this type of document on future immigration benefits including availability of practical training.

Financial aid

University-sponsored financial assistance for international students is limited. Unconfirmed awards should not be included in financial projections.

Non-immigrant visa students

Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) regulations require all students on temporary visas to pursue their studies on a full-time basis at the institution they have been authorized to attend.

Undergraduate students and those with post-bachelor status must successfully complete at least 12 credits each semester (excluding an approved annual vacation).

Graduate students and those in pre-master's status must successfully complete at least 8 credits each semester (excluding an approved annual vacation).

Contact an Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) advisor for details.