Digital marketing and analytics course new for fall 2017
A new special topics course – MKT 5840: Introduction to Digital Marketing and Analytics – will be offered by the Mike Ilitch School of Business this fall. It will be team-taught by Associate Professor of Marketing Sujay Dutta and Nick Mattar, director of marketing for the Detroit Regional Chamber.
From social media to website analytics and email marketing, digital marketing is a vast and ever-evolving discipline. According to marketing advisory firm Smart Insights, digital marketing now comprises the most in-demand marketing positions and is expected to grow exponentially in the coming years.
The content and delivery of MKT 5840 will be extremely applied in nature, with a curriculum driven by the knowledge and skills required for entry-level positions in digital marketing.
After completing the course, students should be able to:
- Utilize a web analytics program to develop correlations between different statistics while developing basic predictive models for future website behavior
- Implement tactics for improving or maintaining search engine page ranking for web pages, and recognize how specific search terms can convert potential customers and help increase revenue
- Understand the different types of online advertising and decide when to implement them
- Design and execute a complete social media campaign complete with goals, budgetary requirements and audience targeting
- Develop a compelling email send and study outcomes to make adjustments and improvements to future sends
The average entry-level digital marketing position receives nearly 200 applications, so marketing and non-marketing majors alike are encouraged to enroll in this resume-boosting course.