Professor of Technology, Information Systems and Analytics
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
- Technology, Information Systems and Analytics (TISA)
Toni M. Somers holds an MBA from Bowling Green State University and a Ph.D. from the University of Toledo. Currently, she holds the position of Professor specializing in Technology, Information Systems and Analytics, along with serving as the Associate Dean at the Mike Ilitch School of Business. Her tenure at Wayne State University began in 1988, where she has dedicated over half of her career to administrative roles. Dr. Somers also holds adjunct positions at the Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western University, and Wayne State University's Industrial Systems Engineering department, where she imparts advanced multivariate statistical methods to doctoral students.
In the realm of research, Dr. Somers directs her focus towards corporate board diversity and information systems.
Dr. Somers extends her expertise to consult with various organizations, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to the United Automobile Workers and several non-profit entities.
Her teaching portfolio encompasses a broad spectrum, including intermediate and advanced statistical methods, IT Security, and IT Ethics. In the realm of research, Dr. Somers directs her focus towards information systems strategic planning and the diffusion of information technologies within organizations. Her particular passion lies in enhancing the success rate of technology integration into corporate business processes.
Dr. Somers boasts an extensive publication history and has lent her expertise to several editorial boards. Her work includes over 50 publications featured in prestigious IS journals, such as Information Systems Research, Decision Sciences, and five publications in the Journal of Management Information Systems. Her contributions span across various journals, including Information and Management, Production and Operations Management Journal, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, European Journal of IS, and the European Journal of Operational Research.
- M.B.A., Bowling Green State University, 1992
- Ph.D., University of Toledo, 1982
- B.A., University of Toledo, 1977
Research and teaching interests
- Information systems strategic planning
- Diffusion of information technologies
- Steering committees
- Information systems
- IT security
- Multivariate Statistics
- Liozu, S., Hinterhuber, A., Perelli, S., and Somers, T. M. (2018). CEO championing of pricing and the impact on firm performance. In Andreas Hinterhuber and Stephan Liozu (Eds.), “Innovation in Pricing: Contemporary Theories & Best Practices”, 2nd edition, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415521642/.
- Peter P. Chhim, Toni M. Somers, R. Babu Chinnam (2017). "Knowledge reuse through electronic knowledge repositories: a multi theoretical study," Journal of Knowledge Management, 21(4), pp. 741-764, https://doi.org/10.1108/JKM-03-2016-0126
- Overbeke K.K., Bilimoria D. and Somers,T (May 2015) Shared vision between fathers and daughters in family businesses: the determining factor that transforms daughters into successors. Front. Psychol. 6:625. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00625
- Gorla, N. and Somers, T. (April 2014) "Impact of IT Outsourcing on Information Systems Success," Information and Management, 51(3), pp. 320-335.
- Liozu, S., Hinterhuber, A., and Somers, T. (March 2014). "Organizational design and pricing capabilities for superior firm performance," Management Decision, 52(1), pp. 54-78.
- Karimi, J., Somers, T., Bhattercherjee, A. (2008) "The Impact of Scope of ERP Implementation on Net-Enabled Execution Strategy: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 13(3) pp. 7-42
- Karimi, J., Somers, T., Bhattercherjee, A. (Fall 2007). "The Role of IS Resources in ERP Capability Building and Business Process Outcomes: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Journal of Management Information Systems, 24(2), pp. 221-260.
- Karimi, J., Somers, T., Bhattercherjee, A. (Summer 2007). "The Impact of ERP Implementation on Business Process Outcomes: A Factor-Based Study," Journal of Management Information Systems, 24(1), pp.103-137.