How to search for a job or internship
Searching for a job can be a time-consuming process that takes effort and effective planning. We advise that you begin your job search at least 3 to 4 months prior to your desired start date. With an active job or internship search, you may have to submit 20 or 30 applications each week even when qualified for the prospective positions. The key to remain position and optimistic throughout the process.
Career Planning and Placement makes finding job and internship applications easy with Handshake. We ensure that the jobs posted through this system are good opportunities for our business students. Keep in mind that while many companies recruit all year round, some jobs and internships follow specific fall and winter recruiting patterns. That being said, it is very important to start early!
While applying online is often a necessary part of your job or internship search, there are a number of steps you can take early on to yield the most success. Check out the helpful job search steps below to get started.
- Start by identifying what type of positions you want along with what you are qualified for.
- Develop a list of target employers to guide your job search. Know that you will likely need to apply outside of this employer list as well, but it is good to have an initial guide.
- Create strong application materials which might include your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, and elevator pitch.
- Network to create connections in desired fields and with specific industries and companies. Applying online is only one portion of job searching. You have to actively network as well.
- Apply! Your application should be tailored to a specific position and company. Be sure to customize your resume and cover letter with key words from the job description as much as possible.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare for interviews!
- Follow-up with a company after your interview. If the company provided you with a timeline in which a decision would be made and that date has passed, it is appropriate to follow-up with a polite phone call or email.
Still have questions about job searching effectively? Call (313) 577-4781 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment with a Career Planning and Placement staff member who is here to support you every step of the way.