Associate Professor of Finance
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Social capital, Corporate misbehavior, Financial Institutions
Research and teaching interests
- Corporate Finance
- Behavorial Finance
- Financial Institutions
- Ph.D., Business Administration, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Master of Business, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Bachelor of Arts, (Economics and Mathematics), Cum Laude, Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana
- Financial reports and social capital, 2019, Journal of Business Ethics 155(2), 567-596.
- Formation of cross-border corporate strategic alliances: The roles of trust and cultural, institutional, and geographical distances ( with YoungJun Kim, and Sandra Gutierrez-Wirsching), 2019, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance 21: 22-38.
- It pays to partner with a firm that writes annual reports well (with Mufaddal Baxamusa, Abu Jalal), 2018, Journal of Banking & Finance 92, 13-34.
- Quiet life no more? Corporate bankruptcy and bank competition (with Todd Gormley and Nandini Gupta), 2018, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (JFQA),53(2) 581-611.
- Political leanings and social capital (with Christopher Boudreaux and Vasabjit Banerjee),2018, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics,72, 95-105.
- Corporate social responsibility and social capital (with James Cox) , 2015, Journal of Banking & Finance 60, 252-270.
- Audit fees and social capital (with Yu Chen), 2015, Accounting Review 90, 611-639.
- Effect of bank monitoring on earnings management of the borrowing firm: an empirical investigation (with Siddharth Shankar, and Arun Prakash), 2015, Journal of Financial Research 38, 219-254.
- Access to bank loans while in bankruptcy: The role of single vs. multiple banking relations, (with Siddharth Shankar, and Leonard Arvi), 2014, Managerial Finance 40, 724-733.
- Earnings management around debt covenant violations–an empirical investigation using a large sample of quarterly data, 2013, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance 28, 369-396.
- A Few Precise and Simple Methods for Understanding Changes in Cash Flow Patterns in Financial Education, with Siddharth Shankar and Gary A. Anderson 2012, International Journal of Finance 24, 7169-7085.