Chair, Department of Finance
Associate Professor of Finance
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
- Social capital
- Business ethics
- Ph.D., 2009, Business Administration,Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Master of Business,2005,Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Bachelor of Arts,2002,(Economics and Mathematics), Cum Laude, Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana
Research and teaching interests
• Corporate finance
• Behavioral finance
• Social capital
• Corporate social responsibility (CSR)
• Business ethics
Associate Professor of Finance, 2016 - Present, Wayne State University (tenured 2020)
Associate Professor of Finance (with tenure), 2015 - 2016, Texas A&M International University
Assistant Professor of Finance, 2009-2015, Texas A&M International University
Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, 2008-2009, Texas A&M International University
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance
Ad hoc reviewer:
Accounting & Finance, Accounting Review, AUDITING: A Journal of Practice & Theory, British Journal of Management, Contemporary Accounting Research (2), Corporate Governance: An International Review, Eastern Economic Journal, Emerging Market Finance and Trade (3), Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice (2), European Journal of Finance, Financial Review (3), Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance (2), Journal of Accounting & Public Policy (2), Journal of Banking & Finance (9), Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance (4), Journal of Business Ethics (4), Journal of Business, Finance & Accounting (3), Journal of Business Research (3), Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Financial Research (3), International Review of Finance (4), International Trade Journal (3), Managerial Finance (2), Personnel Review, Review of Accounting Studies, Review of Finance
- Ashrafee Hossain, Takdir Hossain, Anand Jha, and Mbodja Mougoué, 2022, Credit Ratings and Social Capital, Journal of Corporate Finance (forthcoming)
- Anand Jha, Manoj Kulchania and Min-Jeong Kwon, 2022, Stock Repurchasing and Corporate Social Responsibility, Journal of Financial Stability (forthcoming)
- Christopher Boudreaux, Monica Escaleras and Anand Jha, 2022, Natural Disasters, Entrepreneurship Activity, and the Moderating Role of Country Governance, Small Business Economics (forthcoming)
- Christopher Boudreaux, Anand Jha, and Monica Escaleras 2022, Weathering the Storm: How Foreign Aid and Institutions Affect Entrepreneurship Activity Following Natural Disasters, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 46(6), 1843- 1868
- Christopher Boudreaux, George Clarke, and Anand Jha, 2022, Social capital and small informal business productivity: the mediating roles of financing and customer relationships,Small Business Economics,59, 955-976
- Mufaddal Baxamusa, Sudip Datta, and Anand Jha, 2021, Does policy uncertainty increase relational risks? Evidence from strategic alliances. Financial Management, 50(3), 645-689.
- Anand Jha, Manoj Kulchania, Jared Smith, 2021, U.S. Political corruption and Auditing, Accounting Review, 96(1), 299-324.
- Sudip Datta, Anand Jha, Manoj Kulchania, 2020, On Accounting’s 21st Century Challenge: Evidence on the Relation between Intangible Assets and Audit Fees, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 55(1), 123-162.
- Anand Jha, 2019, Financial Reports and Social capital, Journal of Business Ethics 155(2), 567-596.
- Anand Jha, YoungJun Kim, and Sandra Gutierrez-Wirsching, 2019, The Determinants of Cross-border Corporate Strategic Alliances: The Roles of Trust, Cultural Distance, and Institutional Distance, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance, 21, 22-38.
- Mufaddal Baxamusa, Abu Jalal, and Anand Jha, 2018, It pays to partner with a firm that writes annual reports well, Journal of Banking & Finance, 92, 13-34.
- Todd Gormley, Nandini Gupta, and Anand Jha, 2018, Quiet Life No More? Corporate Bankruptcy and Bank Competition, Journal of Financial & Quantitative Analysis, 53(2), 581-611.
- Anand Jha, Christopher J. Boudreaux, and Vasabjit Banerjee, 2018, Political leanings and Social capital, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (72), 95-105.
- Anand Jha, and James Cox, 2015, Corporate Social Responsibility and Social Capital, Journal of Banking & Finance 60, 252-270.
- Anand Jha, and Yu Chen, 2015, Audit fees and Social capital, Accounting Review 90, 611-639.
- Anand Jha, Siddharth Shankar, and Arun Prakash, 2015, How Does Bank Monitoring Affect Earnings Management of the Borrowing Firm: An Empirical Investigation, Journal of Financial Research, 38, 219-254.
- Anand Jha, Siddharth Shankar, and Leonard Arvi, 2014, Access to Bank Loans while in bankruptcy: The Role of Single vs. Multiple Banking Relations, Managerial Finance 40, 724-733.
- Anand Jha, 2013, Earnings Management Around Debt-Covenant Violations–An Empirical Investigation Using a Large Sample of Quarterly Data, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance 28, 369-396.
- Siddharth Shankar, Gary A. Anderson, and Anand Jha, 2012, A Few Precise and Simple Methods for Understanding Changes in Cash Flow Patterns in Financial Education. International Journal of Finance 24, 7169-7085.
• Researcher of the year for 2020, Mike Illitch School of Business (co-winner)
• Best paper in Behavioral Finance, Midwest Finance Association, San Antonio, 2018