Associate Professor of Finance
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Research and teaching interests
- Social capital
- Behavioral finance
- Corporate finance
- Ph.D., 2009, Business Administration,Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Master of Business,2005,Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Bachelor of Arts,2002,(Economics and Mathematics), Cum Laude, Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana
Ph.D. Coordinator—Finance, 2016 - Present, Wayne State University
Associate Professor of Finance, 2016 - Present, Wayne State University (tenured 2020)
Associate Professor of Finance (with tenure), 2015 - 2016, Texas A&M International University
Assistant Professor of Finance, 2009-2015, Texas A&M International University
Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, 2008-2009, Texas A&M International University
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance
Ad hoc reviewer:
• Accounting and Finance
• AUDITING: A Journal of Practice & Theory
• British Journal of Management
• Contemporary Accounting Research (2)
• Corporate Governance: An International Review
• Eastern Economic Journal
• Emerging Market Finance and Trade (2)
• European Journal of Finance
• Financial Review (3)
• Journal of Accounting and Economics
• Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance (2)
• Journal of Accounting & Public Policy (2)
• Journal of Banking & Finance (9)
• Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance (4)
• Journal of Business Ethics (2)
• Journal of Business Finance and Accounting
• Journal of Business Research (2)
• Journal of Corporate Finance (3)
• Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
• Journal of Financial Research (2)
• International Review of Finance (3)
• International Trade Journal (2)
• Managerial Finance (2)
• North American Journal of Economics and Finance
• Personnel Review
• Review of Accounting Studies
• Review of Finance
- Does policy uncertainty increase relational risks? Evidence from strategic alliances, (with Mufaddal Baxamusa and Sudip Datta), 2021, Financial Management (forthcoming)
- Weathering the storm: How foreign aid and institutions affect entrepreneurship activity following natural disasters, (with Christopher Boudreaux and Monica Escaleras), 2021, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice (forthcoming)
- US political corruption and audit fees, (with Manoj Kulchania, and Jared Smith), 2021, Accounting Review 96(1), 299-324
- On Accounting's 21st Century Challenge: Evidence on the Relation between Intangible Assets and Audit Fees, (with Sudip Datta and Manoj Kulchania), 2019, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 55(1),123 -162.
- Financial reports and social capital, 2019, Journal of Business Ethics 155(2), 567-596.
- Formation of cross-border corporate strategic alliances: The roles of trust and cultural, institutional, and geographical distances (with YoungJun Kim, and Sandra Gutierrez-Wirsching), 2019, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance 21, 22-38.
- It pays to partner with a firm that writes annual reports well (with Mufaddal Baxamusa, Abu Jalal), 2018, Journal of Banking & Finance 92, 13-34.
- Quiet life no more? Corporate bankruptcy and bank competition (with Todd Gormley and Nandini Gupta), 2018, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (JFQA),53(2) 581-611.
- Political leanings and social capital (with Christopher Boudreaux and Vasabjit Banerjee), 2018, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics,72, 95-105.
- Corporate social responsibility and social capital (with James Cox) , 2015, Journal of Banking & Finance 60, 252-270.
- Audit fees and social capital (with Yu Chen), 2015, Accounting Review 90, 611-639.
- Effect of bank monitoring on earnings management of the borrowing firm: an empirical investigation (with Siddharth Shankar, and Arun Prakash), 2015, Journal of Financial Research 38, 219-254.
- Access to bank loans while in bankruptcy: The role of single vs. multiple banking relations, (with Siddharth Shankar, and Leonard Arvi), 2014, Managerial Finance 40, 724-733.
- Earnings management around debt covenant violations–an empirical investigation using a large sample of quarterly data, 2013, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance 28, 369-396.
- A Few Precise and Simple Methods for Understanding Changes in Cash Flow Patterns in Financial Education, (with Siddharth Shankar and Gary A. Anderson), 2012, International Journal of Finance 24, 7169-7085.
• Researcher of the year for 2020, Mike Illitch School of Business (co-winner)
• Best paper in Behavioral Finance, Midwest Finance Association, San Antonio, 2018