Professor of Finance
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48201
Corporate finance, agency theory, payout policy, market microstructure
Research and teaching interests
- Corporate Finance
- Agency Theory
- Payout Policy
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 1995
- MBA, The Ohio State University, 1990
- M.Com, Sydenham College, 1988
- B.Com, Sydenham College, 1986
D'Mello is a member of FMA and AFA.
- Economic Policy Uncertainty and Short-Term Financing: The Case of Trade Credit, Journal of Corporate Finance, forthcoming.
- Shareholders valuation of long-term debt and decline in firms’ leverage ratio, 2018, Journal of Corporate Finance, 48, 352-374.
- Internal Control and Internal Capital Allocation: Evidence from Internal Capital Market of Multi-segment Firms, 2017, Ranjan D’Mello, Xinghua Gao, and Yonghong Jia, Review of Accounting Studies, 22, 251-287.
- Introduction of Equity-Based Compensation and Impact on Firm Policies, 2014, Ranjan D'Mello and Mercedes Miranda, Advances in Financial Economics, 17, 153-192.
- Are the Benefits of Debt Declining? The Decreasing Propensity of Firms to be Adequately Levered, 2014, Ranjan D'Mello and Mark Gruskin, Journal of Corporate Finance, 29, 327-350.
- Fundamentals or Fiction: What drives equity pricing?, 2013, Ranjan D'Mello and Mark Gruskin, Banking and Finance Review, 5, 1-20.
- Are there monitoring benefits to institutional ownership? Evidence from seasoned equity offerings, 2011, Ilhan Demiralp, Ranjan D'Mello, Frederik Schlingemann, Venkat Subramanium, Journal of Corporate Finance, 17, 1340-1359.
- Long-term Debt and Overinvestment Agency Problem, 2010, Ranjan D'Mello and Mercedes Miranda, Journal of Banking and Finance, 34, 324-335.
- Executive Compensation and Internal Capital Market Efficiency, 2009, Sudip Datta, Ranjan D'Mello, and Mai-Iskandar-Datta, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 18, 242-258.
- Determinants of Corporate Cash Holdings: Evidence from Spin-offs, 2008, Ranjan D'Mello, Sudha Krishnaswami, and Patrick Larkin, Journal of Banking and Finance, 32, 1209-1220.
- A Comparative Analysis of the Proxies for Optimal Capital Structure, 2008, Ranjan D'Mello, Joseph Farhat, Review of Financial Economics, 17, 213-227.
- The Tax-Loss Selling Hypothesis, Market Liquidity, and Price Pressure around the Turn-of-the-Year, 2003, Ranjan D'Mello, Stephen Ferris and Chuan-Yang Hwang, Journal of Financial Markets, 6, 73-98.
- Does the Sequence of Seasoned Equity Offerings Matter?, 2003, Ranjan D'Mello, Oranee Tawatnuntachai and Devrim Yaman, Financial Management, 32, 59-86.
- Why do Firms Issue Equity after Splitting Stocks?, 2003, Ranjan D'Mello, Oranee Tawatnuntachai and Devrim Yaman, Financial Review, 38, 323-350 (summarized in the CFA Digest, 34,1).
- Intra-Industry Reactions to Stock Split Announcements, 2002, Oranee Tawatnuntachai and Ranjan D'Mello, Journal of Financial Research, 25, 39-57.
- Forced versus Voluntary Dividend Reduction; An Agency Cost Explanation, 2001, Ranjan D'Mello, Tarun Mukherjee, and Oranee Tawatnuntachai, Financial Review, 36, 1-22.
- Capital Rationing Decisions of Fortune 500 Firms – Part II, 2001, Tarun Mukherjee, Kent Baker, and Ranjan D'Mello, Financial Practice and Education, 10, 69-77.
- Equity Undervaluation and Decisions Related to Repurchase Tender Offers: An Empirical Investigation, 2000, Ranjan D'Mello and Pervin Shroff, Journal of Finance, October, 55, 2399-2424.
- The Information Effects of Analysts Activity at the Announcement of New Equity Issues, 2000, Ranjan D'Mello and Stephen Ferris, Financial Management, 29, 78-95.
- Fact and Fiction in Financial Analyst Forecasting, 2000, Ranjan D'Mello and Stephen Ferris, Corporate Finance Review, 5, 26-32.