Associate Professor of Global Supply Chain Management
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
- Global supply chain management
With more than 35 years of service to Wayne State, Dr. Butler teaches operations management, supply chain management, decision tools, statistics, and quality improvement. Dr. Butler is committed to utilizing technology in teaching, and was among the first faculty in the Mike Ilitch School of Business to teach syncronous and asyncronous online classes. Dr. Butler was active in developing the Ph.D. program for the School of Business, serving as chair of the faculty Ph.D. program development committee and as the first director of the program. He was also insturmental in the development of the General Motors / Wayne State Supply Chain Case Competition and the Mike Ilitch School of Business Study Abroad programs.
Dr. Butler's research focus is operations and supply chain management, examining process operations, efficiency, and operations strategy. Dr. Butler's research has appeared in the top Operations and Supply Chain journals, including Journal of Operations Management, European Journal of Operational Research, Journal of the Operational Research Society, and Decision Sciences. A member of INFORMS, he has served on the Health Care Applications Group Council. Dr. Butler has served on the editorial board of Health Care Management Science, International Journal of Integrated Supply Management and Logistics and Transport. In 2015, Dr. Butler was awarded the Fulbright Specialist grant, whereby he traveled and taught in Poland and China.
- Ph.D., University of South Carolina, 1989
- MBA, University of Memphis, 1983
- BBA, University of Memphis, 1978
Quality improvement, multi-criteria decision-making, automotive supply chain management, advanced statistical analysis
Research and teaching interests
- Analytical Decision Tools
- Multiple Objective Decision Models
- Operations Strategy
- Quantitative Analysis
- Supply Chain Management
- Quality Management
- Butler, T.W., D.L. Williams, T. Yan, “MMOG/LE: Improving Supply Chain Delivery Performance Through Buyer-Supply Collaboration, Journal of Transportation Management, Vol 25 (2), 2015, 57-68.
- Basson, M.D., T.W. Butler, H. Verma, “Predicting Patient Non-Appearance for Surgery as a Scheduling Strategy to Optimize Operating Room Utilization in a Veterans Administration Hospital,” Anesthesiology, Vol. 104, No. 4, 2006, pp. 826-834.
- Butler, T.W. and L.X. Li, "The Utility of Returns to Scale in DEA Programming: An Analysis of Michigan Rural Hospital," 2005, European Journal of Operational Research.
- Li, L.X. and T.W. Butler, "The Influence of Management Action on Hospital Efficiency," 2005, International Journal of Operations and Operational Research.
Fulbright Specialist Scholar, 2015 - 2020