Professor of Marketing and International Business
Director, Doctoral Programs
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Cross-cultural consumer behavior issues; marketing in emerging markets; strategy and structure in internationalizing firms; international business theory; marketing theory; and marketing strategy questions
Research and teaching interests
- Cross-national consumer behavior
- International strategic alliances
- International marketing strategy
- Marketing in emerging economies
- Marketing research
- International Business
- International Marketing
- Marketing Theory
- Marketing Strategy
- Ph.D., Georgia State University, 1978
- M.B.A., Indiana University, 1973
- B.S., Indiana University, 1971
Dr. Yaprak has been a Professor of International Business and Marketing at the Ilitch Business School for four decades. The current Historian of the Academy of International Business (the AIB), he has also served as the AIB’s Executive Secretary and as a member of the Advisory Board of the AIB’s Northeast Chapter. He is the Director, Doctoral Programs, and has served as the Associate Dean for Research at the Ilitch Business School.
Teaching/Research at Other Institutions
- University of Vienne (Austria) (2017)
- Techniche Universitat Dortmund (Germany) (2013)
- Martti Ahtisaari Institute of Global Business, University of Oulu (Finland) (2010)
- Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain) (2006)
- Lyon Business School (France) (2005, 2006, and 2008)
- Sabanci University (Turkey) (2001-2021)
- Ludwig Maximillian University (Germany) (2000)
- Director, Doctoral Programs and Graduate Studies Director, Mike Ilitch Business School, Wayne State University (2013-2022)
- Associate Dean for Research, School of Business Administration, Wayne State University (1994-1998)
- Executive Secretary, the Academy of International Business (1992-1995)
a. Editorial Board Memberships:
- Journal of International Business Studies (2017-2025)
- Journal of Global Marketing (2017-2021)
- Journal of Business Research (1992 to present)
- Journal of International Marketing (1992-1998)
- International Business Review (2004 to present, 1991-2001).
- International Marketing Review (1985-1992).
- Journal of World Business (2019 to Present)
- Asia-Pacific Journal of Management (2014 to present)
- International Marketing Review (2012 to present)
- Management International Review (2014 to present)
- Psycology and Marketing (2019 to present)
- Journal of International Management (2011 to present)
- European Journal of Marketing (2000 to present)
- Journal of Operations Management (2010 to present)
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (2000 to present)
- Journal of Marketing (1992 to 2013)
c. Special Service to Professional Associations
- Conducted an International Marketing Workshop for the AIBs Southeast Asia Region (2021)
- Planned the AIB Gurus Program at the AIB Annual Conference (2013)
Professional Society Memberships
- Academy of International Business (1976 to present)
- American Marketing Association (1980 to present)
- Academy of Marketing Science (1981 to present)
- European International Business Association (1985-2000)
- European Marketing Academy (1991-1995)
- The International Society of Political Psychology (1999-2004)
Courses Taught at Wayne State University:
- BA 8050 Marketing Theory Seminar (doctoral)
- BA 8054 Marketing Strategy Seminar (doctoral)
- BA 8777 Academic Career Development (doctoral)
- MKT 7050 Marketing Strategy (MBA)
- MKT 7460 International Business (MBA)
- MKT 7500 International Marketing Strategy (MBA)
- MKT 2300 Marketing Managemen (undergraduate)
- MKT 5480 Market Forecasting (undergraduate)
- MKT 5750 International Marketing Management (undergraduate)
Courses Taught at Michigan State University:
- MTA 924 Special Topics Seminar in International Business (doctoral)
- PIM 872 Strategies in the Global Environment (Professional MBA)
- MTA 863 International Business Policy (graduate)
- MTA 853 Marketing Programming (graduate)
- MTA 415 International Marketing (undergraduate)
Courses Taught at the University of Michigan:
- IB 615 International Marketing Strategy (graduate)
- IB 315 International Marketing Management (undergraduate)
Course Taught at the University of Vienna (Austria):
- DK PhD-M 390013 Doctoral Seminar in Marketing Theory
Courses Taught at Ludwig Maximillian University/University of Munich (Germany):
- IB 4900 Case Applications in International Business
Courses Taught at Sabanci University (Turkey):
- MKT 951 Global Marketing Strategy (Executive MBA)
- MKT 823 Internatoinal Marketing Management (Professional MBA)
Courses Taught at the Ecolé Management de Lyon (France):
- MKT 69 International Marketing Strategy (graduate)
Served on over 40 doctoral dissertations and master’s theses as committee member or chair (United States) or as external examiner (abroad).
- Advertising Foundation of Turkey and Sabanci University Joint BRAND PRACTICE Program [taught International Marketing and International Branding Seminars 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018].
- ECZACIBASI Holding [conducted International Strategy seminar, junior/senior executives 2017]
- BORUSAN Holding [conducted seminars on Value Creation in Marketing, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010].
- ARCELIK [conducted marketing strategy seminars, the Marketing and Product Development groups, 2009].
- INSEAD and Sabanci University Joint Executive Development Program MYGLOBE: Managing Global Enterprises [Taught the Global Marketing module in 2006, 2007, and 2008].
- M. Demirbag and A. Yaprak (2015), Handbook of Emerging Market Multinational Corporations (Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd), 283 pps. [a collection of research contributions on EMMNCs]
- S. T. Cavusgil, G. Knight, J. S. Riesenberger, and A. Yaprak (2009), Conducting Market Research for International Business (Business Expert Press), 122 pps. [Condensed book on global market research]
Recent Article Publications
- A. Alipour and A. Yaprak (2022), “Indulgence and Risk-taking Behavior of Firms: Direct and Interactive Influences”, Journal of International Management, 28, 2 (June), 100945.
- M. Prince, A. Yaprak, M. Cleveland, M. Davies, A. Josiassen, A. Nechtelberger, D. Paliwahadana, W. Renner, S. C. Supekova, and S. Von Wallpach (2020), “The Psychology of Consumer Ethnocentrism and Cosmopolitanism: A Five-Country Study of Values, Moral Foundations, Gender Identities, and Consumer Orientations”, International Marketing Review, 37, 6, 1013-1049.
- A. Yaprak and M. Prince (2019), “Consumer Moral Reasoning and Moral Action: Theoretical Domains and Empirical Findings”, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 36 (3), 429-438.
- N. Papadopoulos, M. Cleveland, B. Bartkowski, and A. Yaprak (2018), “Of Countries, Places, and Brand/Product Place Associations: An Inventory of Dispositions and Issues Relating to Place Image and its Effects”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 27, 7, 735-753.
- A. Yaprak, M. Demirbag, and G. Wood (2018), “Post-Acquisition Strategies of Emerging Market Internationalizing Enterprises: the State of the Art in Research and Future Research Directions”, Journal of Business Research, 93, 90-97.
- A. Yaprak, T. Yosun, and D. Cetindamar (2018), “Firm-Specific and Country-Specific Advantages as Drivers of Emerging Market Firms’ Internationalization: Evidence from Turkey”, International Business Review, 27, 1, 198-207.
- S. Dutta, A. Yaprak, and D. Grewal (2017), “Fairness Perceptions of Retail Price Increases by Foreign and Domestic Brands: the Roles of Ethnocentric Beliefs, Profit Stickiness, and Contextual Information”, Journal of Business Research, 75, 37-45.
- N. Naseem, S. Verma, and A. Yaprak (2015), “Global Brand Attitude, Perceived Value, Consumer Affinity, and Purchase Intentions: A Multidimensional View of Consumer Behavior and Global Brands”, Advances in International Marketing, 25, 255-288.
- A. Yaprak, B. Tasoluk, and C. Kocas (2015), “Market Orientation, Managerial Perceptions, and Corporate Culture in an Emerging Market: Evidence from Turkey”, International Business Review, 24, 443-456.
- W. Pollitte, J. Miller, and A. Yaprak (2015) “Returns to US Firms from Strategic Alliances in China: A Knowledge-based View”, Journal of World Business, 50, 1, 144-148.
Published Recent Conference Proceedings
- I. Yoruk and A. Yaprak (2022) “Made in China? Drop That!”, AMA Winter Academic Conference (electronic archive).
- I. Yoruk and A. Yaprak (2021), “Consequences of Unethical Firm Behavior: How do Consumers Evaluate Brands that Behave Unethically?”, AMA Summer Academic Conference (electronic archive).
- L. Yu, A. Mannem, and A. Yaprak (2021), “Trust, Satisfaction, Loyalty and Intentions in the Sharing Economy: Research Propositions”, AMA Summer Academic Conference (electronic archive).
- N. Naseem and A. Yaprak (2021), “Relational Justice and Optimal Compensation in Service Recovery: Does Failure Severity Matter?”, AMA Summer Academic Conference (electronic archive).
- I Yoruk and A. Yaprak (2021), “The Morality of Globalization”, AIB Annual Conference (electronic archive).
- A. Mannem, L. Yu, and A. Yaprak (2021), “Middle Consumers in China and India: Characteristics, Clusters, and Implications”, AIB Annual Conference (electronic archive).
- C. Pinho, A. Yaprak and M. Pinho (2021), “The Dynamic Role of Adaptive Capabilities: How Emerging Market MNEs’ Responses to Turbulent Environments”, AIB annual conference (electronic archive).
- A. Mannem, L. Yu, and A. Yaprak (2021), “Affective States, Cognition, Message Appeals, Country-of-Origin and Quality Perceptions: Research Propositions”, AMA Winter Academic Conference (electronic archive).
- D. Bourdin, G. Halkias, and A. Yaprak (2020), “Examining the Interaction Effects between COI and the Nature of Brands: Evidence from Austria and the US”, European Markeitng Academy (EMAC) Annual Conference, Proceedings (electronic archive).
- L. Yu, A Mannem, and A. Yaprak (2020), “Personal Values, Identity, and Consumption Orientations: Research Propositions”, AMA Summer Academic Conference, Proceedings (electronic archive).
- N. Naseem, S. Dutta, and A. Yaprak (2020), “Retail Service Recovery: Is More Better?” World Marketing Congress, Academy of Marketing Science, Proceedings (electronic archive).
- I Yoruk, A. Bhattacharyya, and A. Yaprak (2020), “Does the COI Information Influence Global, Foreign, and Local Consumer Culture Positioning? Evidence from China’s COO in the US”, Annual Conference of the Academy of International Business, Proceedings (electronic archive).
- D. Bourdin, G. Halkias, and A. Yaprak (2020), “The Compensatory Influences of Country Stereotypes and the Global/Local Nature of Brands: An Extended Framework”, AMA Global SIG conferenence, Proceedings (electronic archive).
- Chair of the panel on Teaching Innovations in International Business, AIB National Conference (2022)
- AIB South Asia Workshop, “Teaching International Marketing” (2021)
- DAN Distinguished Lecture Speaker, “Global Consumer Culture Theory: Evolution, Current Status, and Prospects” Wesern University (Canada) (2020)
- Keynote Speaker, European International Business Association Conference Pedagogy Workshop, University of Leeds (the United Kingdom) (2019)
- University of Essex, “Theory Construction in International Business” (2019)
- Distinguished PhD Graduate, Georgia State University’s Robinson College of Business (2022). Delivered the Keynote Adress at the Symposium on Responsible Global Business.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award (2022), Member of Editorial Review Board, Journal of International Business Studies.
- Member, the AIB President’s Council on Expenditures and Initiatives (2022).
Member, Board of Advisors, Academy of International Business Norteast Regional Chapter (2021-2024). Chair, Doctoral Students’ Consortium, AIB Northeast Regional Chapter (2021 and 2022).
- Co-Editor, Special Issue of the AIB Insights on International Marketing (2022).
- AIB Historian (2021 to 2023): Appointed to lead the AIB’s History Committee to chronicle the AIB’s history, identity, and sense of direction via sub-committees on IB thought, IB Teaching Innovations, and Chapters and SIGs.
- Nominated for the 2019 Hans B. Thorelli Award at the Journal of International Marketing (one of five selected) for 2002 article that appeared in that journal. This Award recognizes the article that has made the greatest contribution to international marketing theory and practice during the lifetime of the journal.
- Listed as one of the 30 most prolific contributors to international marketing knowledge among 2,333 authors who published 1,722 articles in the top six international business journals during a 20-year period (1995-2005). The rankings appeared in Advances in Global Marketing: A Research Anthology, pps. 3-33 (Springer, 2018).
- Inspiring Teacher of the Year Award (2017), annual award given to one Ilitch School professor based on an alumni survey.
- Board of Visitors Faculty Fellow, Wayne State University (2010 – 2013).
- Turkish Academy of Sciences Visiting Scholar, Sabanci University (2009) [Sabbatical]
- Listed as one of the top 20 (out of 387) authors who have published in the Journal of International Marketing during a 12-year period (1996-2006) in a study of the most prolific authors in leading international business journals (List published in the Asia-Pacific Journal of Management, 2008, 25, pps.,189-207).
- The Academy of Marketing Science Outstanding Marketing Professor Award (2007) (given to only three or four marketing professors from among the Academy’s membership every year).
- Co-authored article published in 1987 selected as one of five finalists for the 1997 Journal of International Business Studies Decade Award (this award recognizes the most influential paper published in the Journal of International Business Studies ten years prior to that year).