Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency names Wayne State University veteran-friendly school
The Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency’s Michigan Veteran-Friendly School program recognized Wayne State University as a top veteran friendly school.
The program "recognizes academic institutions of higher learning committed to supporting the needs of student veterans and dependents." The program awards gold-, silver- or bronze-level status to institutions that offer veteran-centric services and programs. Higher learning institutions and/or training facilities in Michigan eligible to receive veteran education benefits can apply for the program regardless of size, location or program delivery. Out of 55 schools, WSU was one of 10 schools to meet all seven criteria for 2015. WSU received gold-level status for meeting all seven program criteria.
The program’s criteria are:
- On-campus veteran's coordinator and/or staffed veterans center
- Active student-operated veteran club/association
- Established process for the identification of current student veterans
- Evaluation and awarding of credit for military training and experience
- Veteran-specific website/portal
- Monitoring and evaluation of student veteran academic retention, completion and graduation rates
- Monitoring and evaluation of student veteran job placement rates
Bronze-level status was given to schools that met at least three of the above criteria. Silver-level status was given to schools that meet at least four of the above criteria.