Announcing ENGAGE 2015 student competition winners
Student teams from five universities across the U.S. and Canada were honored during the ENGAGE International Investment Education Symposium, held March 26-27 at Cobo Center in Detroit.
Four schools that manage real money distinguished themselves as champions in their respective investing style category in the Student-Managed Investment Portfolio Competition. The winners, as judged by overall risk-adjusted return during calendar year 2014, were:
- Asset Allocation: Simon Fraser University – Student Investment Advisory Service Fund
- Blend/Core: Indiana University of Pennsylvania –Student Managed Investment Portfolio
- Growth: Stephen F. Austin State University – Mast Student Investment Roundtable
- Value: Truman State University – Bulldog State Investment Fund
The team from Simon Fraser University was the overall winner, taking home a grand prize of $2,500.
The three-round Stock Pitch Competition drew 27 entries for a chance to win another $2,500 grand prize. The first round of the competition was determined based on video submission in advance of ENGAGE 2015. The 12 finalists that competed during ENGAGE were:
- Bowling Green State University – Chicago, Bridge, and Iron
- DePaul University – Celgene
- HEC Montreal – Canadian National Railway
- HEC Montreal – Magna International
- James Madison University – United Rentals
- Michigan State University – Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc.
- Roger Williams University – Intercontinental Exchange, Inc.
- Truman State University – Halliburton
- University of Toledo – UnitedHealth Group
- Western Michigan University – Ubiquiti Networks
- Western Michigan University – Starbucks
- Xavier University – Gilead Sciences
The team from Michigan State University was the overall grand prize winner, pitching Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc. (PTEN) to a panel of industry experts, including the CNBC Fast Money “Halftime Report” traders and legendary investor Bill Miller of LMM, LCC.
Sponsored by the Wayne State University School of Business and Mainstay Capital Management in association with the United Nations Global Compact, ENGAGE International Investment Education Symposium is the largest student investment conference in the world. ENGAGE gives students an opportunity to participate in discussions with today's leading investment professionals in preparation for their roles as tomorrow's financial leaders.
Check out the CNBC “Trade School” segments shot live at ENGAGE 2015 here.
For more information, please visit engage.wayne.edu.