Assistant Professor of Finance
Office hours: Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to noon
Research and teaching interests
- Corporate finance
- Market microstructure
- Ph.D. in Business Administration (Finance), University of Pittsburgh, 2010
- M. S. in Computer Science, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2002
- B. S. (Hons), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 1998
Kulchania is a member of the American Finance Association and the Financial Management Association.
- Accelerated Share Repurchases, 2011 (with Leonce Bargeron and Shawn Thomas), Journal of Financial Economics 101, 69-89.
- Market Microstructure Changes around Accelerated Share Repurchase Announcements, 2013. Journal of Financial Research 36, 91-114.
- Catering Driven Substitution in Corporate Payouts, 2013. Journal of Corporate Finance 21, 180-195.
- The Flash Crash: Effects on Shareholder Wealth and Market Quality, 2014 (with Thomas Boulton and Marcus Braga-Alves), Journal of Financial Intermediation 23, 140-156.
- Cost Structure and Payout Policy, 2016. Financial Management 45, 981-1009.
- Cash Reserves as a Hedge Against Supply-Chain Risk, 2017 (with Shawn Thomas). Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (forthcoming).
• U.S. Political Corruption and Audit Fees
University of Exeter 2017
• Value of Long-Term Debt and the Decline in Leverage Ratio
Wayne State University 2016
• Cost Structure and Payout Policy
University of Toledo, European Financial Management Association Meetings, Financial Management Association Meetings, 2015
• Supply Chain Disruption Costs and the Substitution of Cash for Inventory*
Marquette University, Bentley University, University of Pittsburgh, 2013
Wayne State University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Texas A&M University, 2014, 2015
Midwest Finance Association meetings, 2017
• The Flash Crash: Effects on Shareholder Wealth and Market Quality*
Marquette University Finance and Economics Seminar Series, 2011
Financial Management Association meetings, Midwest Finance Association meetings, Eastern Finance Association meetings, 2012
• Accelerated Share Repurchases*
American Finance Association meetings, 2010
University of Kentucky, Binghamton University and Tulane University
• Do firms cater to investor demand when repurchasing?
Doctoral Student Consortium, Financial Management Association meetings, 2008
Fairfield University, Florida Atlantic University, Marquette University, 2009
• Corporate Finance and Market Issues
Presented to the Executive Program for Korean Electric Power Company executives at the Institute for Software Research, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, 2008
* includes presentations by co-authors
• Summer Research Grant, Wayne State University, 2014-2017.
• Miles Summer Research Grant, College of Business Administration, Marquette University, 2014
• University wide Summer Research Fund Award, Marquette University, 2014
• Small Research Grant, College of Business Administration, Marquette University, 2010, 2011.
• Summer Research Grant, College of Business Administration, Marquette University, 2011-2013.
• Doctoral Student Consortium at the Financial Management Association Meetings in Dallas, 2008
• American Finance Association Student Travel Grant, 2008
• Student Honoree, 32nd Annual Honors Convocation, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
• Graduate and Professional Students’ Association, University of Pittsburgh, Travel Grant, 2008, 2009
• Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, Travel Grant, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
• Mervis Fellowship, Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh, 2005-2009
• Indiana University Merit Scholarship, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2000-2002