Ariel S. Levi
Senior Lecturer of Management
Ariel S. Levi
Research and teaching interests
- The effects of different forms of affirmative action and diversity programs on individual and organizational outcomes
- Organizational rationales for diversity programs and the effects of different rationales on program acceptance among employees
- International HRM policies and practices in relation to national cultural values
- Corporate social responsibility: Employee perceptions of CSR and psychological factors affecting its implementation and effectiveness
- Judgment and decision making at the individual, group, and organizational level, including: biases in probability estimates of future events.
- Analysis of decision fiascoes from the perspective of behavioral decision theory; managerial priority-setting and decision making in crises, problems, and opportunities.
- Cognitive and motivational factors influencing performance evaluation
- Organizational Behavior
- Social and Political Influences on Business
- Human Resource Management
- Organizational Change and Development
- Ph.D., Yale University, 1982
- Post doctoral: NIMH, Columbia University, 1983
- BA, University of California, 1976
Levi is a member of the Academy of Management, American Psychological Association, Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology and
Decision Sciences Institute.
- "Organizational Diversity Programs across Cultures: Effects on Absenteeism, Turnover, Performance, and Innovation" (with Peretz and Fried), 2015, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26, 879-903.
- "Job Design" (with Fried), 2013, Oxford Bibliographies in Management Online. Oxford University. http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199846740/obo-9780199846740-0044.xml.
- "Differences between African Americans and Whites in Reactions to Affirmative Action Programs in Hiring, Promotion, Training, and Layoffs" (with Fried), 2008, Journal of Applied Psychology, 93, 1118-1129
- "Motivation and Job Design in the New World of Work" (with Fried and Laurence), 2008, in S. Cartwright and C. L. Cooper (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Psychology, Oxford University Press, 586-611.
- "Placing the Job Characteristics Model in Context: The Contributing Role of Time" (with Fried, Grant, Hadani, and Slowik), 2007, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 28, 911-927.
- "The Job Characteristics Model and LMX-MMX Leadership" (with Fried and Laurence), 2007, in G. B. Graen (Ed.), LMX Leadership: The Series (5), 157-197. Information Age Publishing.
- "Race Differences in Termination at Work: The Role of Educational Inequality" (with Hargis, Baltes, and Fried), 2006, Journal of Business and Psychology (April), 1-12.
- "Job Design" (with Fried, Snider, and Hadani), 2006. In S. G. Rogelberg (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (1), 392-395. Sage Publishing.
- "The Relation between Political Ideology and Attitudes toward Affirmative Action among African-Americans: The moderating Effect of Racial Discrimination in the Workplace" (with Fried, Billings, and Browne), 2001, Human Relations, 54, 561-584.
- "Rater Positive and Negative Mood Predispositions as Predictors of Performance Ratings of Ratees in Simulated and Real Organizational Settings: Evidence from U.S. and Israeli Samples" (with Fried, Ben-David, and Tiegs), 2000, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 73, 373-378.
- "Inflation of Subordinates' Performance Ratings: Main and Interactive Effects of Rater Negative Affectivity, Documentation of Work Behavior, and Appraisal Visibility" (with Fried, Ben-David, and Tiegs), 1999, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 20, 431-444.
- "A Cross-cultural Exploration of the Reference Dependence of Crucial Group Decisions under Risk: Japan's 1941 Decision for War" (with Whyte), 1997, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 41, 792-813.
- "The Origins and Function of the Reference Point in Risky Group Decision Making: The Case of the Cuban Missile Crisis" (with Whyte), 1994, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 7, 243-260.
- "Breadth, Focus, and Content in Leader Priority-setting: Effects on Decision Quality andn Perceived Leader Performance (with Mainstone), 1992, in K. Clark, M. Clark, and D. P. Campbell (Eds.), The Impact of Leadership. Center for Creative Leadership.
- "Fundamentals of Statistical Process Control" (with Mainstone), 1987, Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, 9, 5-21.
- "Obstacles to Understanding and Using Statistical Process Control as a Productivity Improvement Approach" (with Mainstone), 1987, Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, 9, 23-32.
- "Use of the Availability Heuristic in Probability Estimates of Future Events: The Effects of Imagining Outcomes versus Imagining Reasons" (with Pryor), 1987, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 40, 219-234.
- "Quality is Job One: An Introduction to Statistical Process Control" (with Mainstone), 1986. In S. C. Certo and L. A Graf (Eds.), Experiencing Modern Management: A Workbook of Study Activities (3), 285-298.
- "A Strategy for Teaching about Judgmental Bias and Methods for Improving Judgment" (with Mainstone), 1985, Organizational Behavior Teaching Review, 10, 9-24.
- "Decision Making and Decision Theory" (with Abelson), 1985, in G. Lindzey and E. Aronson (Eds.), Handbook of Social Psychology (3), 231-309.
- "Attribution Bias: On the Inconclusiveness of the Cognition-motivation Debate" (with Tetlock), 1982, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 18, 68-88.
- "A Cognitive Analysis of Japan's 1941 Decision for War" (with Tetlock), 1980, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 24-195-211.
- "Cultural Congruence and Organizational Outcomes: The Role of HR Fit and Social Tightness" (with Peretz and Fried), August 2016, Paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meeting, Anaheim, CA
- "Translating CSR into Managerial Behavior: Determinants of Charitable Donation" (with Reagan, Tekleab, and Lichtman), August, 2015, Paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meeting, Vancouver, Canada
- "Dual Effects of Subsidiary and Parent Organizations' Human Resource Practices on Employee Responses" (with Peretz and Fried), August 2014, Paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- "How Explanations and Forecasts Affect Perceived Fairness of Pay Freezes" (with Shapiro, Fried, and Markoczy), April 2013, Paper presented at the Society ofr Industrial and Organizational Psychology Meeting, Houston, TX.
- "The Use of Data in 'Live' Cases to Encourage Systems Thinking and Integrative Analysis: An Exercise Linking Human Resource Programs and Financial Outcomes in Real Organizations" (with Cannon and Friesan), March 2012, Paper presented at the Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning Conference, San Diego, CA.
- "Organizational Affirmative Action Programs across Cultures: Effects on Absenteeism and Turnover" (with Peretz and Fried), August, 2010, Paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meeting, Montreal, Canada.
- "Persistence in a career goal hierarchy across time as a function of advancement probability, locus of control, and future orientation: an exploratory study" (with Fried, Slowik, Das, and Cerdin), 2005, paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meeting, Honolulu, HI.
- "Contextualizing organizational citizenship behavior: A conceptual analysis" (with Fried and Drori), 2005, paper presented at the National Academy of Management Meeting, Honolulu, HI.
- "The effects of organizational framing of affirmative action on program acceptance among nonbeneficiaries: A contingency model" (with Fried), 2005, paper presented at the conference, "Diversity as a competitive advantage in the global economy," Syracuse, NY.