Assistant Professor of Management
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
- Emotions in organizations
- Prosocial behaviors in organizations
- Employees' experiences in organizational change
Research and teaching interests
- Affective experiences at work
- Prosocial and helping behaviors at work
- Organizational change
- Positive organizational scholarship
- Experiential learning
- Organizational behaviors in entrepreneurship
- 2016 Ph.D., Management and Organization, Boston College, Carroll School of Management
- 2013 M.S., Organization Studies, Boston College, Carroll School of Management
- 2007 B.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- 2017 – present Assistant Professor, Mike Ilitch School of Business, Wayne State University
- 2016 – 2017 Assistant Professor, Odette School of Business, University of Windsor, Canada
- Member, Academy of Management, 2009-present
- Member, Association of Korean Management Scholars, 2011-present
- Member, Center for Positive Organizations, 2011-present
- Member, Work, Identity, and Meaning Research Community, 2013-present
- Reviewer, Academy of Management Annual Meetings (OB & ODC divisions), 2009-present
- Ad Hoc Reviewer,
- Strategic Management Journal, 2015-
- Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 2015-
- Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 2016-
- Journal of Positive Psychology, 2016-
- Journal of Change Management, 2016-
- Oreg, S., Bartunek, J., Lee, G., & Do, B. In Press. An affect-based model of recipients' responses to organizational change events. Academy of Management Review.
- Caprar, D., Do, B., Rynes, S., & Bartunek, J. 2017. It's personal: An exploration of students' (non) acceptance of management research. Academy of Management Learning and Education 16(2): 173-192.
- Balogun, J., Bartunek, J., & Do, B., 2015. Senior managers' sensemaking and responses to strategic change. Organization Science 26(4): 960-979.
- Rhee, S., Yu, S., Park, S., & Do, B., 2012. R&D workers' professional identity and job satisfaction: The moderating role of task specialization and met-expectation. Korean Corporation Management Review 19(6): 1-22.
- Bartunek, J., Balogun, J., & Do, B., 2011. Considering planned change anew: Stretching large group interventions strategically, emotionally, and meaningfully. Academy of Management Annals 5(1): 1-52.
- Bartunek, J. & Do, B., 2011. The sacralization of Christmas commerce. Organization 18(6): 795-806.
- Balogun, J., Bartunek, J., & Do, B., 2010. Uncovering relationships and shared emotion beneath senior managers' resistance to strategic change. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- How self-compassion matters at work: Exploratory study of gratitude and self-compassion at work. Presented at the Positive Organizational Scholarship meeting, Ann Arbor, MI (with Jean Bartunek)
- Exorcising the ghost: The resolution of collective mnemonic ambivalence. Presented at the Positive Organizational Scholarship meeting, Ann Arbor, MI (with Matt Lyle & Ian Walsh)
- The desire to reciprocate benevolence as an affective motivational state: A theoretical model of state gratitude at work.
- Presented to the Ilitch School of Business at the Wayne State University;
- Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Anaheim, CA (with Myeong-Gu Seo);
- Presented at CPO Research Incubator, Center for Positive Organizational Scholarship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI;
- Presented to the Odette School of Business at the University of Windsor.
- Organizational memory and nostalgia: The case of Studebaker from 1967 to 2013
- Presented to Work, Identity, and Meaning Research Group, Cambridge, MA;
- Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Vancouver, Canada (with Ian Walsh).
- Gratitude in organizational change. Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Vancouver, Canada. (with Jean Bartunek & Gayoung Lee).
- Episodic gratitude at work: Developing the construct.
- Presented at the Gratitude Research Workshop, Greater Good Science Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA;
- Presented at the Positive Organizational Scholarship meeting, Ann Arbor, MI (with Jean Bartunek);
- Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Orlando, FL (with Jean Bartunek & Myeong-Gu Seo).
- Students reactions to research findings: The role of self-enhancement and self-protection processes. Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Orlando, FL (with Dan Caprar, Sara Rynes, & Jean Bartunek).
- Memory recollection, meaning reconstruction, and the experience of nostalgia in the context of organizational demise. Presented at the European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) Meeting, Helsinki, Finland (with Ian Walsh).
- Dissolving ambivalence about change: Change recipients’ attitudes and change leaders’ sensegiving. Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, San Antonio, TX (with Jean Bartunek)
- Uncovering relationships and shared emotion beneath senior manager’ resistance to strategic change. Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Montreal, Canada (with Julia Balogun & Jean Bartunek)
- Followers’ perception of transformational leadership of distant leader: The effect of followers’ personality, affect, and organizational commitment. Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Chicago, IL (with Seung-Yoon Rhee)
- R&D Workers’ Professional Identity and Work Satisfaction: The Moderating Role of Task Specialization and Met-Expectation. Presented at the Asia Academy of Management Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan (with Seung-Yoon Rhee, Sung-Joo Park, Sung-Jae Yu, & Sang-Woo Yoon).
- Best Reviewer Award, Organizational Behavior Division, Academy of Management, 2015
- Best Korean Student Paper Award ($1,000), Samsung Economic Research Institute (at the Academy of Management Meeting), 2013
- Dissertation Award ($10,000), Greater Good Science Center at University of California, Berkeley, 2013
- Donald J. White Teaching Excellence Award, Boston College, 2013
- Best Paper Award, Organization Development and Change Division, Academy of Management, 2010
- Research Assistant Fellowship, Carroll School of Management, Boston College, 2009-2015