Lecturer of Accounting
Mike Ilitch School of Business
2771 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201
Office hours by appointment. When not in the classroom or at an extension campus location, Professor Habel can almost always be found in her office. Arrangements for special assistance can most often be made with a moment's notice.
Research and teaching interests
- Accounting Information Systems
- Enterprise Resource Planning Systems
- Project Management
- Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Business Process Analysis and Improvement
- Software Implementation
- Non-Profit Accounting
- Closely-held Organizations
- MBA, University of Michigan
- BS, Accounting and Management Information Systems, Oakland University
Deborah L. Habel, M.B.A., CPA, CGMA, CITP, PMP, is an authority in the design, implementation, analysis and improvement of business processes and accounting information systems. She is a skilled professional in ERP systems, software selection and customization, and curriculum design. She frequently adapts examples from her consulting and academic careers into comprehensive case projects for her students, such as "Comparative Analysis of Publicly Traded Regional Brewers," authored earlier this year and used to teach students to read, understand, and analyze corporate financial statements.
She is an active community volunteer, currently serving as an advisor and board member for several community organizations and the faculty advisor for the Alpha Kappa Psi chapter here on campus. She has also been a contributing member of the AICPA's CPA Exam Content and CITP Exam Cut-Score Teams, and continues her service with the MICPA on the Accounting Educators Conference Committee.
Her primary teaching responsibilitites are the graduate and undergraduate versions of Accounting Systems: Design and Control (ACC 5130 and ACC 7145) and the cross-coded undergraduate Enterprise Resource Planning Systems course (ACC 5200 and ISM 5200).
In addition to her regular course work, Prof Habel leads the department's Excel workshops initiative, conducting the well-received "Excel-lerate Your Skills" Workshop several times each semester.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Information Technology Professional
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
- Project Management Professional
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Project Management Institute
- Alpha Kappa Psi Professional Business Fraternity
President's Volunteer Service Award, Lifetime of Service