Our new home in the District Detroit
Our new building will open in spring 2018 and was made possible by a $40 million lead investment from Mike and Marian Ilitch. The gift is the largest in WSU history and ranks as one of the top ten gifts ever to name a public business school in the United States.
The new facility will be WSU's first entirely new construction project outside of the university's Midtown campus. Our location in the District Detroit brings students closer to the heart of Detroit's business community and enhances access to internship and career opportunities.
There will be a parking structure adjacent to the building. For students commuting between main campus and the new school, WSU will expand its current shuttle service. Students can also take advantage of a QLINE station right in front of the building, providing access to classes in both neighborhoods.
Anchored by the new Little Caesars Arena, the District Detroit will revitalize a 50-block area between Downtown and Midtown. In addition to the arena and the Mike Ilitch School of Business, the District Detroit will include numerous residential and retail developments with an estimated 10 to 12 million annual visitors.
The new four-story building will be roughly 120,000 square feet and includes:
- A highly visible finance and data analytics lab on the ground floor at Woodward and Temple that features an LED stock ticker, interactive display wall and multiple Bloomberg terminals and databases for student and faculty research.
- The ground floor also features an executive M.B.A. suite, a two-story atrium and space for a café and pop-up retail.
- The 260+ seat Lear Auditorium has state-of-the-art AV technology and the ability to bring full-sized vehicles into the room for events with our partners in the auto industry.
- Expanded tutoring, academic advising and career services spaces, including a full-service accounting lab and meeting rooms for prospective employers to interview students.
- A rooftop terrace along Woodward Avenue that will allow the school to host students, alumni and friends for all kinds of events, including America's Thanksgiving Parade and the Ford Fireworks.
- Detroit-based Christman-Brinker leading business school construction (July 12, 2017)
- Steel work at Mike Ilitch School of Business nears completion (May 25, 2017)
- Ilitches "top out" their new Little Caesars headquarters expansion (May 24, 2017)
- Watch: Mike Ilitch School of Business takes shape in District Detroit (May 19, 2017)
- Sign one of the final beams in the new Mike Ilitch School of Business (May 19, 2017)
- Wayne State's new Mike Ilitch School of Business begins to take shape (April 12, 2017)
- A look inside the Mike Ilitch School of Business at Wayne State (April 12, 2017)
- Big day for Wayne State's Mike Ilitch School of Business (April 11, 2017)
- Camera provides around the clock view of the Mike Ilitch School of Business building construction (March 23, 2017)
- Wayne State University Mike Ilitch School of Business set to open in April 2018 (Feb. 24, 2017)
- Minority-owned construction business rebuilding Detroit (Jan. 28, 2017)
- District Detroit projected to have $2 billion economic impact by 2020 (Jan. 25, 2017)
- Ilitch School received metro Detroit's single largest philanthropic gift this year (Oct. 24, 2016)
- Groundbreaking puts Mike Ilitch School of Business in the media spotlight (July 21, 2016)
- Mike Ilitch School of Business groundbreaking makes news across the country (July 21, 2016)
- Groundbreaking ceremony for Wayne State University's Mike Ilitch School of Business launches new era of business education in Detroit (July 20, 2016)
- Ilitch business school to be vision of activity (June 6, 2016)
- Razing a building to raise new WSU business school downtown (May 6, 2016)
- Wayne State's new Ilitch business school offers naming rights for auditorium, terrace and more (Feb. 18, 2016)
- Ilitch gift to WSU among Chronicle of Philanthropy's top 50 of 2015 (Feb. 9, 2016)
- Next step for new Wayne State business school building: Raising funds (Nov. 1, 2015)
- New Wayne State business school to build buzz for Red Wings arena district (Nov. 1, 2015)
- Detroit entrepreneurs Mike and Marian Ilitch $40 gift to Wayne State University to build new business school in Detroit (Nov. 1, 2015)
- Detroit entrepreneurs Mike and Marian Ilitch gift $40 million plus use of land to Wayne State University to build new business school in Detroit (Oct. 30, 2015)
- WSU board vote paves way for new Ilitch business school (Oct. 30, 2015)
- Ilitch calls WSU biz school 'biggest deal of my life' (Oct. 30, 2015)
- Ilitch family to give $40M for new WSU business school (Oct. 28, 2015)
- Ilitches to build Wayne State a new business school (Oct. 28, 2015)
- Ilitches to give Wayne State $40 million for new business school near Red Wings arena site (Oct. 27, 2015)
- Ilitch family to donate $40 million for new Wayne State business school in Detroit (Oct. 27, 2015)